Cat tricks and psychology Definitive guide: Teach tricks like high five
All this involves understanding of cat psychology. Your reading about cat psychology, show that you really care about your cat!. Here are cat tricks and how to train your cat to do them.
- When your cat is standing on all fours, take a treat and grab your cat’s attention with it.
- Move the treat between your cat’s ears, above its head, and it will lower itself to reach the treat.
- When it is sitting, feed your cat a treat to reward it.
- Repeat this 10 to 15 times, providing a treat each time it performs the action correctly.
- Repeat the word “sit” each time you teach the trick. Read also: How to train a cat.
2- High Five
- Make your cat aware that you have a treat in your hand.
- Wait until the cat attempts to ‘grab’ it out of your hand.
- When the cat touches your hand, feed it the treat.
- Repeat several times, raising your hand higher each time.
- You can start repeating the words “high five” each time you teach the trick.
3- Come when called
- The best time to teach this is at mealtime. Fill the food bowl and call your cat while tapping the bowl.
- When the cat comes, feed it a treat.
- Repeat this several times and try repeating the word “come”. Read also: How to understand cat language.
4- Sit up on two legs
- Raise a treat above your cat’s head so that it reaches for it, but cannot grab it.
- When it is sitting on its hind legs, feed it a treat.
- Repeat and use the words “sit up”.
5- Shake hands
- Touch your cat’s paw gently.
- When your cat lifts its paw, shake it as if shaking hands.
- Give your cat a treat.
- Repeat and use the word “shake”
- You can train your cat to ‘speak’ by encouraging it to make certain sounds.
- If your cat makes the particular sound you would like it to say more, feed it a treat.
- Use a word like “meow” or “chirp” to associate with the sound.
- Repeat every time the cat makes the noise.
- Once the trick has been taught several times, attempt to command the cat by saying “meow”, “chirp” or whichever word used for the sound. Read also: Cats and the Excessive Meowing.
7- Walk on a leash
- Buy a harness specifically for cats – dog collars are not suitable.
- Let the cat wear the harness indoors without a leash attached.
- When the cat seems comfortable with this, walk around in the home with your cat on the leash.
- Once this is done several times, try walking with the leash in your garden. See how your cat reacts to being outside.
- Once the cat has been on a leash in the garden a few times, you may try walking your cat in the street.
8- Play fetch
- Take a toy that your cat likes and throw it a short distance in front of you.
- When the cat runs to it, approach the cat and gently retrieve the toy.
- Return to the place you first threw it and throw again.
- Repeat this until the cat learns to return the toy to you.
9- Jump through a hoop
- Buy a ‘clicker’ at a pet shop. This will make a small click to grab your cat’s attention.
- Find a Hula hoop.
- Put the Hula hoop between yourself and your cat. Be sure to be holding a treat for them.
- Use the clicker to call your cat.
- Your cat should walk through the hoop (ensure that the hoop is low enough to do so).
- Give your cat a treat.
- Repeat this and increase speed and height gradually. Eventually the cat will be able to jump. Read also: Behavior of cat changes with age.
To teach a cat any trick tastes patience and dedication. Remember that cats respond to positive reinforcement, and don’t respond well to being scolded. The most effective way to teach a cat is though repetition and rewards. There are a few differences between a way cats & dogs are been trained. Cats are not likely to get motivated by the praise as dogs.
The cats are less driven to work at partnership with human companions. However that does not mean they are not superstars for waiting. With right methods — and creativity at your part —cat soon will amaze you with things that he may learn.
Understand Cat psychology
React to the positive reinforcement, and not negative punishment
The cats must just be taught the new behaviors with the positive and reward-based training. The punishment & dominance aren’t healthy methods, and nor they are effective. The punishment creates stress as well as stress is the common causes for the problem behaviors among cats, eliminating outside of litter box & compulsive grooming. Read also: Treating the problem of behaviour in cats.
Cracking the cat psychology
- Best reinforcements you may use are the treats —however not any treats. ”Foster cats like to train,. Many cats want something special for motivating them. It means you must toss kibble back in cat food bin & look through the cabinets for good stuff that the cat loves. The diced chicken and turkey, meat-flavored food, low-sodium tuna, as well as commercial cat treats may be very effective, it depends on cat’s individual preferences.
- You need to get cat used to getting rewards with response to the specific behaviors. Begin with simple trick that you can show to your cat good things happen in training sessions.
- Do a lot of Practice… but not much. Repeat the training process many times in row so your cat will learn why he is being rewarded.
You do not want to wear cat out and bore him, however you wish to drive home relationship between particular reward & behavior —and command associated with behavior. So, these are a few important steps to learn.
Most cat owner don’t anything about cat psychology and that’s why their cats are able to learn tricks. However, you know have information about basic cat tricks and cat psychology! Congratulation!! Best of luck with your journey towards cat psychology and trick.