|Donskoy or Don Syphynx Cat
Donskoy or Don Syphynx Temperament
Donskoy cats are:
- Highly intelligent.
- Good natured.
The Donskoy cat is generally an active, playful, friendly and outgoing cat. Also soft-hearted and social they are a unique and intriguing species of the feline world.
Where does the Donskoy or Don Syphynx come from?
The origins of the Donskoy are from Russia. A relatively new breed discovered in Rostov-on-Don in 1987 by Elena Kovaleva. Read also: Dragon Li Cat Breed Information.
What type of Body does the Donskoy or Don Syphynx have i.e. coat, patterns etc?
The Donskoy body characteristics include:
- Medium sized, although the males can be larger than the females.
- Medium bone density.
- Whip like tails.
- Large ears spread far apart.
- Almond shaped eyes with a distinctive slant upward at the outer corner.
- Predominantly hairless although some animals have varying degrees of downy fur.
- Wrinkles highly desirable in this breed particularly around the chin, jowls and cheeks.
- Typically Donskoy cats are medium in size with muscular bodies and medium bone density. The male Donskoy can be larger than a female. They have almond shaped eyes with a slant upward to the outer corner and their ears are large and set apart. The Donskoy has a muscular and round neck. Read also: Exotic Shorthair Cats Information.
History of the Donskoy or Don Syphynx?
The Donskoy was discovered in the Russian city of Rostov-on-Don by Elena Kovaleva. Rescuing a kitten found supposedly suffering with a skin condition the small animal was treated for various fungal infections but when nothing worked and the cat was in otherwise good health it was decided this was the natural condition of the cat. It was also discovered, in time and through breeding this animal, that the gene causing the hairlessness was in fact a dominant gene and not a recessive one more common to the Sphynx breed.
Food the Donskoy or Don Syphynx eats?
The Donskoy cat will eat normal cat foods whether it’s a tined food or biscuit.
Is the Donskoy or Don Syphynx an indoor or outdoor cat?
The Donskoy cat is content either indoors or out although it must be remembered that due to the hairlessness of this breed, although they require next to no grooming, their skin does need protection from the sun.
Does the Donskoy or Don Syphynx have health problem?
The Donskoy is a relatively healthy breed of cat but it requires special attention to its skin due the hairless nature of this breed skin cancer is a condition to be very aware of and so these cats need to be protected from the affects of the sun. For more details and information about donskoy or don syphynx cat breed, click here.